You cannot claim the tax relief until LiveWire Community Energy (LCE) has been generating electricity for 4 months. We then apply to HMRC who will then send LCE a certificate and provide claim forms which LCE will send to investors.

The process for claiming Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme and Enterprise Investment Scheme tax relief is slightly different for:

a) Those who are employed and pay tax via PAYE and do not regularly complete a tax return

b) Those who are self-employed and/or report their income on a tax return every year and pay tax on account

Please note: for the Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme (SEIS) you will receive form SEIS3 and for the Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) you will receive form EIS3. We will describe claiming for EIS which is also similar for SEIS.

If you are employed and pay tax under PAYE

The tax relief is normally due for the tax year in which the shares were issued. In the case of LiveWire Community Energy Limited this is the year ending ___ April ____. However, you can set all, or part of, the tax relief against your tax liability for _____ or a future year is you wish. This would make sense if, for example, your tax liability for the current year is less than the tax relief you are entitled to.

If you pay tax under PAYE you can claim tax relief for the current year at any point as follows:

Complete the form on page 3 of your EIS3 (the HMRC certificate you have received from LiveWire Community Energy Limited. This is only issued after we have been generating electricity for 4 months). The details that you need about the shareholding, date of issue, the company (LiveWire Community Energy Limited), the HMRC office and reference number are on the printed sheet stapled to the front of the form

Tear off page 3/4 and send it to your HMRC office (if you haven't had anything from them recently and don't know which office it is you may find their details plus your tax reference number on your payslips or on your P60 form given to you by your employer each year). Or you can send it to PAYE, HMRC, BX9 1AS

If you are sent a tax return after the end of the year you will also have to enter details of your claim on the tax return

If you want to claim tax relief for a previous year for which you either didn't receive a tax return or you did receive a tax return and have already submitted it you need to complete page 3 and send it to your tax office. You will see on page 3 the section headed 'Claim to EIS Income Tax Relief' gives you space to enter the amount on which you're claiming relief for the current year and a separate space for a claim for the previous year.

If you are self-employed or get a regular tax return or don't pay tax under PAYE

The tax relief is normally due for the tax year in which the shares were issued i.e. the year ending ___April____.  However, you can sell all or part of the tax relief against your tax liability for ______ if you wish · You need to claim your relief on your tax return·

You don't need to fill in page 3 of the EIS3 form that you've been sent by Livewire Community Energy ·

You do need to keep the form handy so that on your tax return you can provide the details supplied on page 1 (the printed sheet that's attached to the front of the EIS3).

In the appropriate box on the tax return enter the total subscription on which you're claiming tax relief (i.e. your shareholding). On the ____ tax return this is on p. Ai2 of the Additional information pages in box 2 in the 'Other tax reliefs' section. In the large box reserved for Additional Information at the end of the tax return (p Ai4, no19) enter the following details from the p1 attachment of the EIS3 form:

The name of the company invested (i.e. LiveWire Community Energy Limited)

The amount of the subscription qualifying for tax relief (i.e. your shareholding)

The date of issue of the shares (i.e. ___________)

The name and reference number of the HMRC office authorising the issue of the certificate i.e. __________________ reference __________________.

If the shares were issued in a year for which it is too late to make or amend a Self-Assessment you must also complete the claim part of the form and send it to your tax office.

Please note:

Claims for tax relief can be made up to 5 years after the first 31 January following the tax year in which the investment was made. We suggest you consult an accountant for any circumstances different from what is outlined above. If you already have an account that completes your tax return please provide them with the relevant forms that you have been sent
by LiveWire Community Energy.

You can also find more information on the:

HMRC website

Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme

Enterprise Investment Scheme

Or call the Small Company Enterprise Centre on 03000 588 907